The will to win is more important than the skill to win. It is possible to achieve what you actively pursue. Keep your head high and work hard every day, because you’ll never get that day back.
Lloy James Ball
Source: flow volleyball.
Wonder of Volleyball is reader supported. Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. If you click and purchase through those links, we’ll get a commission at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclaimer here.
Thanks in advance for supporting our work!
You are a beginner volleyball player. You’ve just started playing the sport and you are excited about it. You are looking for a post that provides a detailed introduction about volleyball for beginners.
If this is the case, keep reading!
You’ll be getting to know what is volleyball, its history, the objective of playing the game and much more.
So without any further delay, let’s get started!
Did you know? Volleyball is the third popular sport globally behind football (soccer) and basketball. The sport has its presence in every continent.
What is Volleyball?
Volleyball is a team sport that consists of six players per side. The sport can be played both indoors and outdoors. It is generally played in a rectangular 18/9 meter court.
The court is divided into two halves. This is done through an elevated net and a vertical line that runs right below it.
A volleyball match is divided into sets. A team must win enough points to win a set and enough sets to win a match. In most cases, a set consists of either 25 or 15 points. And a match has 3 or 5 sets.
Whichever team reaches the 15/25 mark will be considered the winners of the set. If both teams find themselves in the same number of points at the very end of the set (23/13 all), whoever reaches 2 points ahead of their opponents (25/15( will be considered the winners of that particular set.
Please note that this rule doesn’t apply to equal sets. For example, let’s say that 2 teams find themselves in 1all/2all depending on the number of sets per match. In this case, whichever team wins the last set will be considered the winners of the match.
The History of Volleyball
The history of volleyball and its development is truly fascinating. It was initially originated in the US and slowly but steadily, spread across the globe.
The founder of volleyball was William G Morgan. He founded the sport in 1895 by incorporating the elements of basketball, tennis, baseball and handball. It was first formulated for businessmen and the main objective was to create a sport that involves less physical contact for the players.
Volleyball was initially called mintonette. In the early days, the game consisted of any number of players and the simple rule was to keep the ball in motion from one side to the other over a net that is raised from the floor.
In the infant days of volleyball, the matches would go like this. A player starts the game by serving the ball over the net and into the area of the opponent. The opponent player would have to return the ball without allowing it to hit the floor. The team that fails to return the ball or if the ball hits the floor, the opponent will be awarded the point and the serving opportunity would go to them.
Over the course of the next 25 years, the sport reached popularity all around the globe and the rules were set in place. A particular type of ball was also designed for volleyball during this period.
Now, over 800 million people from all over the world play volleyball at least once a week.
The Objective of Playing Volleyball
There is no doubt that volleyball is an intense team sport. And hence, playing it regularly improves your overall body health. Winning and losing is part and parcel of any sport and despite the result, maintaining a healthy physique is the key objective for most people playing a sport. Volleyball is no exception in this regard.
Although this is the case, if you are really passionate about playing volleyball as a beginner player and going places with it, you can create your own objective.
What it does is that it’ll push you to achieve your dreams in playing volleyball. Some of the questions you might consider when formulating your objective include.
- Why do you want to play the sport?
- What are your goals?
- What plans you have in order to achieve your goals?
- What you need to achieve your goals?
When you have proper answers for these questions, your path and goals will be clearer and you’ll give yourself significantly higher chances of achieving them.
Why Volleyball is one of the Greatest Team Sport?
Here are the reasons why volleyball is one of the greatest team sport.
- It accepts players of all ages and skill levels.
- You don’t have to be a pro player to enjoy the game. Even an absolute beginner can learn a lot and feel the joy of playing volleyball.
- The positive vibe of playing volleyball with your team mates is immeasurable and it’ll aid you tackle other aspects of your life in a much more meaningful way.
- Playing and winning a volleyball match along with your team members will give you enormous self satisfaction.
Books Related to Volleyball for Beginners
Benefits of Playing Volleyball
There are endless benefits you can achieve when you are playing volleyball. In the coming sections, we’ll look into the physical and the emotional benefits of playing volleyball.
Physical Benefits of Playing Volleyball
Here are the list of physical benefits you’ll achieve when playing volleyball. Your body will thank you for taking up the sport in the long run!
- You’ll burn unwanted fat and calories effectively.
- You’ll maintain a fit physique at all times.
- Playing volleyball regularly will significantly improve your muscle and nerve coordination.
- Helps you to gain a deep understanding of your body.
- Aids you to build significant stamina.
Emotional Benefits of Playing Volleyball
Here are the list of emotional benefits you’ll gain when playing volleyball regularly.
- Playing volleyball improves your interpersonal and team cooperation skills.
- It creates a strong emotional connection between you and your team members.
- Taking part in regular volleyball matches improves your socializing skills multifold.
- It drastically improves your accountability.
- You’ll feel a sense of belonging among your team members which is invaluable.
Video for a Comprehensive Introduction to Volleyball for Beginner Players
FAQs on Volleyball for Beginners
How should a Beginner Start Playing Volleyball?
- If you are an absolute beginner looking to play volleyball, then the first step you can do is to get an understanding on the basics of the sport and its rules.
- Next, start practicing and watch real matches to get an idea of how intense the games will be.
- The third step is to improve all aspects of your volleyball skills such as serving, hitting, setting, passing and digging. Identify a particular skill/aspect of the volleyball you find comfortable performing and train smart and work hard to master it.
- The final step is to tryout for a team and exhibit to the coaches your volleyball skills.
- Volleyball requires practice and hard work to get into a team and when you are a beginner, you must know that you have to get many things right.
Can Volleyball be Self Taught?
The direct answer to this question is yes, volleyball can be self taught. But you need to understand that like all other self taught aspects in life, learning volleyball on your own takes a bit longer to understand the sport and perfect your skills rather than learning with the help of a coach.
Having said that, here are some steps you can take to learn volleyball on your own.
- Practice all aspects of volleyball with easy to follow drills. Increase the intensity as you become confident.
- Talk to various volleyball coaches and ask specific questions related to the volleyball skill that you are currently working with.
- When you feel confident about your volleyball skills, test them out in a real match situation. This’ll give you invaluable experience and if you happen to find any chink in your game, you can fix it and play better the next time.
Is there any Right Age to Play Volleyball?
No, there is nothing as such. Never listen to those who say otherwise as a beginner volleyball player. It doesn’t matter which age you find yourself in. As long as you are able to play the sport, you can enjoy, learn, train and play the game.
I hope you’ve learned some useful information after reading the introduction to volleyball for beginners post.
Volleyball is an inclusive sport and even if you are an absolute beginner, you can become successful for sure with proper training and guidance.
What are your thoughts about this post?
Do you want anything to be included?
Share your thoughts and ideas in the comments section below!
LET’S BE SOCIAL!